Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hadn't thought of that before. Perhaps not quite the same thing, but we say "that wall badly needs a coat of paint", "I badly need to go on a diet", " the garden badly needs weeding" ...
    I think you've started something unfathomable here!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      A renowned opera singer said to me recently:

"And trust me when I go on stage, I try so badly to always do my best."

This made me wonder if it is grammatically correct to use words with negative connotations to explain positive situations?
      I think it's a perfectly cromulent use of such words.

Sick, even...

Comment

Such words embiggen the language

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            ... bigly.

Comment

I love 'embiggen' and use it whenever I can. 'Cromulent' sounds more like a shipping forecast.

Comment

'Negative majority'. Isn't that a minority?

Comment

Not sure this is the right thread to relate a converstion with a Brummie chap who was busking, and to whom I gave a small donation via a hat.
                  "Avyer gorra side eye?" he asked, without stopping playing his squueze-box. I involuntarily put a hand to my temple wondering whether some biological miracle had been wrought. "Nah", he grinned, pausing on a whheezing cadence, and indicating a nearby pile of his recorded ouevres. Well, I just had to buy one, didneye?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    re Negatives: "I don't want No Deal".

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      re Negatives: "I don't want No Deal".
                      I can't get no satisfaction...

Comment

Radio 3 - the home of the BBC Proms
                        BBC New Generation Artists
                        amazing; fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          I will resist the temptation to shoehorn the B word, and go for the more general - a majority composed* of pessimistic folk.

*which reminds me of that irritating misuse, so beloved of estate agents among others, of 'comprised'.

Comment

Obviously I'm just a very grumpy pedant, but I always dislike "male toilet", "female toilet" as descriptions. Conjures up images of toilets trying to copulate to produce "baby toilets". Some conveniences do have "baby changing" rooms - perhaps that's how they're produced, though what the babies are changed into I can't imagine.

Then of course there are "disabled toilets" - which I suppose don't work at all, or are otherwise immobilised.

It's difficult to think of suitable words or phrases to get round this linguistic problem - maybe that's why many toilets have symbols, though even those are doubtful. Not all women were skirts/dresses, and would a man in a kilt be allowed into a "Ladies", or a woman wearing pants be allowed into the "Gents"?

Lastly, in some of these locations there are notices about "operatives" being at work. Since when have people been referred to as "operatives"?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              Obviously I'm just a very grumpy pedant, but I always dislike "male toilet", "female toilet" as descriptions. Conjures up images of toilets trying to copulate to produce "baby toilets". Some conveniences do have "baby changing" rooms - perhaps that's how they're produced, though what the babies are changed into I can't imagine.

Then of course there are "disabled toilets" - which I suppose don't work at all, or are otherwise immobilised.

It's difficult to think of suitable words or phrases to get round this linguistic problem - maybe that's why many toilets have symbols, though even those are doubtful. Not all women were skirts/dresses, and would a man in a kilt be allowed into a "Ladies", or a woman wearing pants be allowed into the "Gents"?

Lastly, in some of these locations there are notices about "operatives" being at work. Since when have people been referred to as "operatives"?
                              The main 'shopping mall' in my native dorp labels its lavatories as being for 'Laddies' and 'Lassies'.
                              Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
                                The main 'shopping mall' in my native dorp labels its lavatories as being for 'Laddies' and 'Lassies'.
                                Shouldn't that be 'Wee Laddies' and 'Wee Lassies'?

Comment

Working...
                                X