Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Never mind TS - you're not the only one doesn't understand my strange sense of humour
    its a small but exclusive club..one or two round here don't understand mine ....we'll catch up with you one day..prophets, own countries etc !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

24/7

HS

Comment

• anotherbob
        • Sep 2011

"I/we have to take positives from this..."
        As used by sports people who have just suffered a humiliating defeat.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
          And the inconsequential and plainly daft "something for everyone today".
          I'd like a tornado to rip through my neighbour's garden, please. Oh, you're not offering that.
          "Organised rain"

Organised by whom? The Met Office? God?

Another thing about BBC television weather forecasts I've never got used to is their way of initially alighting on a particular part of the UK, and then before you've had a chance of taking in the details, whizzing up east coast, around the north side of a Scotland which has been shrunk because its a bit further away from London, and then, dizzyingly, after briefly stopping off at Belfast, backwards down the Irish Sea to land of Lands End, by which time you've lost the bigger picture and forgotten the start of the programme. And why is half of most forecasts spent dealing with the situation at 8 o'clock in the morning?

Bring back the weather person standing soaked and windblown on the Met Office roof; give us back fronts, isobars, magnetic cloud symbols, and Mike Fish, say I!!!

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

"Organised rain"

Organised by whom? The Met Office? God?

Another thing about BBC television weather forecasts I've never got used to is their way of initially alighting on a particular part of the UK, and then before you've had a chance of taking in the details, whizzing up east coast, around the north side of a Scotland which has been shrunk because its a bit further away from London, and then, dizzyingly, after briefly stopping off at Belfast, backwards down the Irish Sea to land of Lands End, by which time you've lost the bigger picture and forgotten the start of the programme. And why is half of most forecasts spent dealing with the situation at 8 o'clock in the morning?

Bring back the weather person standing soaked and windblown on the Met Office roof; give us back fronts, isobars, magnetic cloud symbols, and Mike Fish, say I!!!
            the days you are paying attention they leave your bit till last and you lose concentration, and when they start without you you can bet your bottom dollar they start right where you live...this is turning into GOM stuff !!
            organise rain really IS off the scale.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

' Set your teeth on edge' is surely one of them that .......err

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                the days you are paying attention they leave your bit till last and you lose concentration, and when they start without you you can bet your bottom dollar they start right where you live...this is turning into GOM stuff !!
                organise rain really IS off the scale.
                ()

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post

Pre-order, pre-book, pre-meet

Upcoming

At the top of the hour

highly acclaimed

closure

Quite a poem, in its way.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Score-line
                    Haitch

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

And why is half of most forecasts spent dealing with the situation at 8 o'clock in the morning?
                      Or bringing in a sports event that most people (probably) aren't interested in.

Or the quality of snow in an alpine skiing resort - as if someone is going to hear it & decide to get the skis out & book a ticket to Klosters for the next day.

Or in the whole of Europe

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                        Or bringing in a sports event that most people (probably) aren't interested in.

Or the quality of snow in an alpine skiing resort - as if someone is going to hear it & decide to get the skis out & book a ticket to Klosters for the next day.

Or in the whole of Europe
                        those BBC forecasts with little stickers over the Stoke City ground with the time of tomorrows game ARE very very annoying, and utterly pointless.
                        Good spot Flos.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

From my next door neighbour:
                          "Are yer a'righ'?"

Steph McGovern trying to speak English.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Tad
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 05-11-12, 19:31. Reason: it pains me to write it!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

1 - "Grow your business" - One grows a beard, but expands a business!

2 - "There you go", when one is given something. In my classroom days, pupils would give in their work with this phrase. My reply was invariably, "No, I'm staying here; you are the one who's going", but they rarely understood "where I was coming from" (and there's another one!)

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Stakeholder.

Not in the old B and W horror movies way...
                                I regret that "stakeholder" is a word in common use in my organisation. If I hear it, I always ask whether they mean a plate, or a fork.

Whenever I write it, I write "steakholder".

And have you noticed, we're all "customers" these days?

Comment

Working...
                                X