Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Surely you'd get three scoops then?

Dollop for two sc**ps
    Trollop for three sc**ps

Now there's an ice cream shop I'd visit regularly.
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
      Dollops.
      Good word, I don't use it enough... and shall mend my ways

"Trollopes" ... Surely you'd get three scoops then?
      You're going to have to explain that to me, kernel... (edit: and Baxo who obviously gets it too!)
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Dollops.

And I like to think it has an olde English usage as well - but maybe I'm thinking of trollop.
        A good word, but not used so much in Scotland, where I think "daud" would be the word.

Edit: "trollop" for three

Comment

The trend of saying "really, really well". This started I think in the horse racing community describing how well a horse has been performing at home or how it performed in a race. It really, really sounds childish. It really, really grates on me as so many people are now using it repeatedly. It can even be heard on Radio 4. Really!

Comment

Once I did say "er, actually no." At which point the waitress disappeared stage left tout de suite never to approach our table again.
            I was once asked three times during a quick stop at a well-known serve-yourself sushi chain... The first two times I just nodded, as it would have been rude to speak with my mouth full; on the third occasion I just said "Fine apart from the constant interruptions"...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              [COLOR="#0000FF"]

You're going to have to explain that to me, kernel... (edit: and Baxo who obviously gets it too!)
              I was wondering if it had anything to do with two birds in the hand being better than one in the bush!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I was wondering if it had anything to do with two birds in the hand being better than one in the bush!

I can hear frenchie's robots firing up *tuk tuk tuk*....

Comment

'Is everything all right for you?', when you're half way through your meal.
                  The one that throws me is to be asked, after ordering food in a cafe, 'Is that everything?'.

I always panic inwardly thinking 'What obvious item have I missed? We'll be a laughing stock in the kitchen and they'll fall about saying "He ordered X and Y, but no Z!"'.

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    badly as used by Cameron, as in "we badly need" to do something. Idiot.
                    Even that's surely better than "we need to do something badly", wouldn't you say?...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      [COLOR="#0000FF"] You're going to have to explain that to me, kernel... (edit: and Baxo who obviously gets it too!)
                      I believe old Norman for a 'scoop' is 'un lop'. Hence 'Deux lops, s'il vous plait, Mademoiselle', 'trois lops' etcetera.

Comment

Stakeholder.

Not in the old B and W horror movies way...
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

7 pages of excellent suggestions, and nobody (unless I've missed it) seems to have mentioned my pet bugbear - "No problem", or worse, "Not a problem". Just about every service and hospitality provider seems to use it. One is tempted to reply "I should hope not, that's what you're here/there for". "Service provider" - probably another one there.....

Weathermen and women have a lexicon of phrases all of their own. There's one (female) one on the BBC who never misses an opportunity to say "What a difference a day makes"

Comment

I believe old Norman for a 'scoop' is 'un lop'. Hence 'Deux lops, s'il vous plait, Mademoiselle', 'trois lops' etcetera.
                            Good heavens, that was much more erudite than I had feared!!

Comment

Is that not 'ampshire franglais, Mush?
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                But we've had bus stations since time immoral. Train station is a recent abomination.
                                What's wrong with "train station"? - especially since "bus station" and "police station" are long established and accepted terms in the first of which you'd expect to find buses and in the second the handful of police who have yet to relocate their territory of operation to Asda and the like.

Comment

Working...
                                X