Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more:

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      One more:

Wow!

Comment

Sunrise in S Wilts this morning.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Beautiful, teamy!

Approaching frontal systems often produce the best sunrises - and retreating ones the best sunsets! But we know the rhyme!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Altocumulus (bubble wrap clouds) always give the most gorgeous sunrises, and sunsets
            Here's early evening on the Truro River last week; though is this altocumulus between fronts or altostratus along a warm front?

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
              Here's early evening on the Truro River last week; though is this altocumulus between fronts or altostratus along a warm front?

Fab photo. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

That was really something to behold - I saw it further west and it produced a superb sunset, which I tried to describe in Stormy. Weather #6282.

Comment

Not absolutely sure, but the fact that that band of cloud stretched right across the country, and in a straight line, more-or-less, suggested a mid-tropospheric jet stream cloud layer, at somewhere between 10,000 and 14,000 feet.

Comment

Sunset over Truro Cathedral from my house, Tue 12th July

Comment

Very nice, Keraulophone. Great colours.

Comment

The sky in the top one has more than a touch of the Turners about it.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          Very nice, Keraulophone. Great colours.
                          Thank you, JK. We’ve had these colourful skies on consecutive evenings this week.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            The sky in the top one has more than a touch of the Turners about it.
                            That’s what I was thinking. I ought to go to Charlestown to look out for a tall ship being pulled though the sunset!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Not absolutely sure, but the fact that that band of cloud stretched right across the country, and in a straight line, more-or-less, suggested a mid-tropospheric jet stream cloud layer, at somewhere between 10,000 and 14,000 feet.
                              Just noticed this one - two years late. Msg 155.

I didn't really get warm and cold fronts until I saw some stright line edged banks of cloud from above in a plane. I think the first time I noticed it was on a flight into Stockholm.
                              Often clouds are more like little islands when viewed from a plane window, and sometimes there are really big one ones - but the straight edge lines are interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Just noticed this one - two years late. Msg 155.

I didn't really get warm and cold fronts until I saw some stright line edged banks of cloud from above in a plane. I think the first time I noticed it was on a flight into Stockholm.
                                Often clouds are more like little islands when viewed from a plane window, and sometimes there are really big one ones - but the straight edge lines are interesting too.

The best place to see them is on aerial photographs at sufficient distance from Earth to show the distinct regularly associated with bands of cloud which are in turn associated with frontal systems. Seen from above in this way, the edge, where the cloud band dissipates out at its highest level of outflow, can give the illusion of the whole cloud layer or ribbon consisting of a homogeneous mass throughout, whereas in fact what is concealed underneath from that vantage point is a whole lot of complexity, with several layers of cloud, sometimes separated, often merged, concealed from view.

Comment

Working...
                                X