Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I was waiting for you to come up with an 18th c. quote...
    ... advanced thinking re cucumbers in the eighteenth century, cont'd -

"The first man I saw was of a meagre aspect, with sooty hands and face, his hair and beard long, ragged, and singed in several places. His clothes, shirt, and skin, were all of the same colour. He has been eight years upon a project for extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers, which were to be put in phials hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers. He told me, he did not doubt, that, in eight years more, he should be able to supply the governor's gardens with sunshine, at a reasonable rate: but he complained that his stock was low, and entreated me "to give him something as an encouragement to ingenuity, especially since this had been a very dear season for cucumbers." I made him a small present, for my lord had furnished me with money on purpose, because he knew their practice of begging from all who go to see them."

Jonathan Swift [1667-1745]
    Gulliver's Travels (1726) part iii A voyage to Laputa chap: 5 The Grand Academy of Lagado

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... advanced thinking re cucumbers in the eighteenth century, cont'd -

"... of a meagre aspect, with sooty hands and face, his hair and beard long, ragged, and singed in several places. His clothes, shirt, and skin, were all of the same colour.
      My other self! :-)

He has been eight years upon a project for extracting sunbeams out of cucumbers, which were to be put in phials hermetically sealed, and let out to warm the air in raw inclement summers. He told me, he did not doubt, that, in eight years more, he should be able to supply the governor's gardens with sunshine, at a reasonable rate:
      Ah, if only he'd hit upon the idea of eating them ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Lunch has come
        A little late
        Today

Because I didn't have the ingredients in time for the sauce. Baked gammon joint with creamy nettles. Lots of nettles, freshly picked this morning. I got the recipe from Robin Harford's excellent eatweeds website (and while I was at it I got a couple of handfuls of goose grass for ... something. Ho! he's rewritten the article to say you can now use nettles later in the season. And I went out specially to get young tender ones because he told me to
        Creamed nettles are one of my pet specialities. I’ve been eating this dish regularly for the last 3 years when I chanced upon the idea while staring at a rather nice gammon steak one Winters day.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

More a question of 'What are you NOT cooking today?' I'd planned a Stirfry of All the Vegetables (the elderly veg to be eaten up before I buy fresh this afternoon. I thought I'd spice up my vegan recipe with a couple of chopped rashers of bacon. On inspection the last two rashers had several spots of white fluffy mould. To the internet to google "White mould bacon dangerous". Lots of advice .

Consensus was if it smells all right, if it's white (penicillin) mould rather than green or black, if it's being cooked, it's probably safe to eat. Just check the Use By date. All systems go until I checked the Use By date - the 27th. Of February. At that point my nerve gave out, sadly. It would have been useful to have discovered the result of eating it. Lunch was Stirfry of All the Vegetables. With Erős Pista​ and a dribble of dark soy.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            More a question of 'What are you NOT cooking today?' I'd planned a Stirfry of All the Vegetables (the elderly veg to be eaten up before I buy fresh this afternoon. I thought I'd spice up my vegan recipe with a couple of chopped rashers of bacon. On inspection the last two rashers had several spots of white fluffy mould. To the internet to google "White mould bacon dangerous". Lots of advice .

Consensus was if it smells all right, if it's white (penicillin) mould rather than green or black, if it's being cooked, it's probably safe to eat. Just check the Use By date. All systems go until I checked the Use By date - the 27th. Of February. At that point my nerve gave out, sadly. It would have been useful to have discovered the result of eating it. Lunch was Stirfry of All the Vegetables. With Erős Pista​ and a dribble of dark soy.
            Well that's the thing, it would be interesting to find out. Could even be beneficial ?! ( Not betting on it though )

Here, midweek generic Chilli including Aldi kidney beans in chilli sauce and some leftover veg including plenty of celery. Also sauce enhanced by a splash of frozen leftover blackberry wine.
            Not sure on music and drink to go with yet, but I'm still at my desk working so will need to decide later, but possibly a small G and T and , dunno, something big and romantic. Bit of Rach maybe.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

No cooking here tonight.
              About to head into town for some Thai street food at Zaap before going to the ROH Madam Butterfly relay at the cinema.
              Yes, I know we should have opted for Japanese (or US or Italian) to stay 'themed', but...
              It's fast, and so we won't feel rushed.

Bringing Bangkok to York. Our famous Thai Street Food will be coming to 7 Lendal in the coming weeks. Zaap Thai Street Food York - opening soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                No cooking here tonight.
                About to head into town for some Thai street food at Zaap before going to the ROH Madam Butterfly relay at the cinema.
                Yes, I know we should have opted for Japanese (or US or Italian) to stay 'themed', but...
                It's fast, and so we won't feel rushed.

https://zaapthai.co.uk/locations/zaa...eet-food-york/
                Have fun. Not really street food weather here…….
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Have fun. Not really street food weather here…….
                  Concept more than reality: we ate indoors!

Comment

Gratin Dauphinois as an accompaniment to the saltmarsh lamb which I am assured by Chronopost is speeding its way in my direction, having been collected somewhere near Rennes earlier this afternoon. Couldn't get much farther in France if you tried. I've od'ed on the nutmeg in the gratin but hope that it won't be noticed when reheated as part of the forthcoming grande bouffe. I've just been given a large slab of Beaufort (880g) as a gift so a piece of that will feature, along with some Saint Marcellin and some Langres. Following FF's example, I'll freeze most of the Beaufort in sensible-sized pieces (truly the king of cheeses). Asparagus - just arrived here - with Hollandaise to start - Tarte Fine aux Pommes to finish. So much for the diet.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

the forthcoming grande bouffe.

Asparagus with Hollandaise
                      Saltmarsh lamb, Gratin Dauphinois
                      Beaufort , Saint Marcellin, Langres.
                      Tarte Fine aux Pommes.
                      ... nice!

Details of the accompanying flight of wines to follow, I hope....

Comment

Wines as yet undecided - but suggestions from Forum gourmands ... sorry, gourmets ... much welcomed. Guests include a well-paid corporate lawyer so no hesitation in suggesting that he brings Chateau d'Yquem to accompany the cheese. Well, maybe not quite that exalted. Agneau Pré-Salé is quite strongly flavoured so a bit of a challenge to match, wine-wise. "Pseuds' Corner', next, I fear.

Comment

"Pseuds' Corner', next, I fear.
                          ... to help you towards which : I see my Atlas des Fromages proposes totally different wines for your three cheeses, which might prove a bit over the top. I was intrigued to find you may pour some marc into the concave top of the langres....

Comment

… "Pseuds' Corner', next, I fear.
                            Rub my lamp, and I appear…
                            For the asparagus with hollandaise, Chablis, Grüner Veltliner, White Rioja.
                            For the lamb, a mid-price Bordeaux, Chianti Classico, or (my preference) a Rioja Reserva. It might be amusing to contrast two styles of Rioja in the same meal. Happy eating (and drinking).

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

Rub my lamp, and I appear…
                              For the asparagus with hollandaise, Chablis, Grüner Veltliner, White Rioja.
                              For the lamb, a mid-price Bordeaux, Chianti Classico, or (my preference) a Rioja Reserva. It might be amusing to contrast two styles of Rioja in the same meal. Happy eating (and drinking).
                              Many thanks for the suggestions - I have both Veltliner and Chablis in the wine rack but no Rioja, alas, here in France (it's in Scotland). I might try a local (Provençal) red with the lamb or Bellet, which is just down the road (and rather over-priced). Or a good rosé from Bandol or Tavel - or Clos Cibonne rosé (quite complex and well made) of which I've just bought a case.

Comment

... to help you towards which : I see my Atlas des Fromages proposes totally different wines for your three cheeses, which might prove a bit over the top. I was intrigued to find you may pour some marc into the concave top of the langres....

The idea of pouring marc into the top of a cheese does not, I fear, appeal. I have had a bottle of Marc de Bourgogne in the cupboard for at least 10 years which I think that I might leave in its pristine - as in unopened - state rather than spoiling a favourite cheese with firewater.

Comment

Working...
                                X