Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday noticed a bottle of Penderyn for £22 in the local Tesco - for shoppers with a Tesco card. That's a significant price reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Yesterday noticed a bottle of Penderyn for £22 in the local Tesco - for shoppers with a Tesco card. That's a significant price reduction.
      I might just head down to one or other of the two Tesco supermarkets which are approximately equidistant from my abode.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Never tasted it, I'm too tight to shell out the normal asking price. At this price, I may well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I might just head down to one or other of the two Tesco supermarkets which are approximately equidistant from my abode.
          No luck at the first I have tried. After searching the shelves, I found an assistant who checked the stock information on his little gadget and reported that it was currently unavailable. I will try the other store, later. Meanwhile, I will have a look online.

Hmm. Not listed on their website, either.
          Last edited by Bryn; 26-11-20, 18:39.

Comment

It seems amazon.co.uk have a range of Penderyns, starting at £22 for the basic Legend and going up to Rhiannon (Icons of Wales Series) at £52.95 (both including p&p). They also offer other, more expensive, options via their marketplace.

Comment

Penderyn Madeira Finish Single Malt Whisky 70Cl
              £26.00 Clubcard Price
              Offer valid for delivery from 17/11/2020 until 07/12/2020
              Write a review
              Rest of Bourbon, Irish & Imported Whiskeyshelf
              £ 37.00
              £52.86/litre
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                Penderyn Madeira Finish Single Malt Whisky 70Cl
                £26.00 Clubcard Price
                Offer valid for delivery from 17/11/2020 until 07/12/2020
                Write a review

"Sorry this product is currently unavailable"

Similar results apply to a search for "Penderyn £22 tesco clubcard". At first, it looks positive but when one clicks on the relevant link . . .
                Last edited by Bryn; 26-11-20, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by mallard fizz View Post
                  That's really nice drop of Scotch
                  Dalwhinnie is on offer in our local Waitrose.

My mother worked for Seagram's and each Christmas the office staff got a box of wine (Barton & Guestier - Nuits St George etc - and some spirits). Neither of my parents drank and I was the lucky recipient. I haven't been keen on whisky. We gave Chivas Regal away as presents/raffle prize/ as a thank you for some years. There was a bottle of Kings Ransom (if I recall the name correctly) which I and Mrs CS tried and it was very smooth and, well, delicious.Bottle emptied long ago and Kings Ranson is a defunct blend/brand.

I was wondering about the Dalwhinnie, but I don't want to be stuck with a bottle should I not like it. Can anyone describe the taste?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

I was wondering about the Dalwhinnie, but I don't want to be stuck with a bottle should I not like it. Can anyone describe the taste?
                    It's certainly not heavily flavoured and full-in-yer-face like the hard-hitting Islay malts are. It's a while since I've had it, but my recollection is that it's smooth and light with a taste that has a noticeable hint of honey. A very pleasant malt.

Comment

I have a bottle of the 15 year-old open at the moment. Golden hued, the nose is quite exotic - tropical fruits, that kind of thing. The taste is malty, honey, vanilla and lightly smokey. An excellent and elegant whisky for a cool Spring evening. Worth a punt I’d say.

Comment

Thanks Vox H and Belgrove. I'll head over to Waitrose and get a bottle.

Comment

My mother worked for Seagram's and each Christmas the office staff got a box of wine (Barton & Guestier - Nuits St George etc - and some spirits). Neither of my parents drank and I was the lucky recipient. I haven't been keen on whisky. We gave Chivas Regal away as presents/raffle prize/ as a thank you for some years. There was a bottle of Kings Ransom (if I recall the name correctly) which I and Mrs CS tried and it was very smooth and, well, delicious.Bottle emptied long ago and Kings Ranson is a defunct blend/brand.

Is it the Winter Gold that is on offer (again)? If so, I got a couple of bottles last time (boosting the discount with some time-limited coupons). I am sipping a dram, with Highland Spring water (still), at the moment. Very much to my liking, albeit now that spring has now sprung.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Is it the Winter Gold that is on offer (again)?
                            Looks like it. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible scores this at 95/100, so it ought to be excellent. I find Murray's judgements very reliable and anything he scores at 90+ is pretty much guaranteed to be very fine. That said, since it carries no age statement, I'm guessing that it's bottled young, i.e. at less than 10 years old. Young malts are quite the thing these days, but they do tend to be less smooth than the aged expressions and that may perhaps explain why reviews from those who love the 15-year-old expression (which Murray also scores at 95/100) tend to give it the thumbs down.

Comment

... many thanks for this - yes, a really big discount! I have taken the plunge. On the same shelf, at an even bigger discount, Cardhu gold reserve cask selection.

Any views on that?

I'm not much of a whisky drinker yet, so any hints wd be helpful...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... many thanks for this - yes, a really big discount! I have taken the plunge. On the same shelf, at an even bigger discount, Cardhu gold reserve cask selection.

Any views on that?

I'm not much of a whisky drinker yet, so any hints wd be helpful...

Waitrose offers on these whiskies do tend to turn up quite often. The Cardhu Gold Reserve was £25 last time around, too. I get the impression that the £45 price tag is a bit of a ruse, only charged long enough to comply with trading standards regulations.

Comment

Working...
                                X