Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I wonder if anyone else has that experience with my posts?

My difficulty with that is, if logging out and logging in again creates an irritating problem, why log out in the first place? The options POSTS and LATEST ACTIVITY buttons (in the grey band at the top of this page) are cancelled when you log out (if I log out the view reverts Latest Activity to POSTS).

I put a password on my computer and a primary password on my browser to hinder any potential malefactors. If they get past those two, I'm not too worried about them looking at my forum account or posting in my name on the benefits of Brexit and the excellence of the current government.
    Well as I've replied recently we do things differently, part of which is that I don't have to log in to my computer - I wouldn't even know where to start setting it up to work like that. 40 plus years of never leaving things open is an even older habit which I don't see the need to change although the imperative has admittedly lessened since I don't have anyone else using my PC.
    The Latest Activity option that I set doesn't get cancelled* by me logging out of the R3 forum, it's just that it doesn't seem to operate in one specific circumstance, which I am remembering to factor in more often now, so eventually it shouldn't be an issue.
    *I've realised that needs qualifying - obviously it doesn't operate when I'm not logged in - but then I wouldn't expect it to since public access is basic. The refinements come with joining the club, which remembers my settings for me.
    Last edited by oddoneout; 07-09-23, 10:15. Reason: qualification

Comment

Also posted in the Inserting a picture thread:

Recently I posted a link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympho...1_(Tchaikovsky), in a post. However, as can be seen, the closing bracket gets left out of the line and is, instead, shown only in black and the link fails, The URL remains incomplete, though adding the ")" to that shown in the browser's address window restores its function. I have tried posting the link and then trying to edit the ")" back into the UR (within the body of the post, that is, but to no avail. It appears to be another bug in the Forum software.​

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I have tried posting the link and then trying to edit the ")" back into the UR (within the body of the post, that is, but to no avail. It appears to be another bug in the Forum software.​
        I'd query whether it was a bug unless a number of people experience the same thing. One uses the preview button and if the url isn't showing correctly simply navigate back to the write/edit page and change it. I notice generally when doing a copy-paste of anything sometimes the beginning or end doesn't copy properly but that's nothing to do with the (forum) software. I have no difficulty once the problem is identiified, including on te forum.

Your wiki link works fine.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I'd query whether it was a bug unless a number of people experience the same thing. One uses the preview button and if the url isn't showing correctly simply navigate back to the write/edit page and change it. I notice generally when doing a copy-paste of anything sometimes the beginning or end doesn't copy properly but that's nothing to do with the (forum) software. I have no difficulty once the problem is identiified, including on te forum.

Your wiki link works fine.
          Not for me.

It opens a page headed Symphony No. 1 (Tchaikovsky

that then says

Did you mean: Symphony No. 1 (Tchaikovsky)?​

PS: interesting that the closing bracket appears OK there.
          I wonder if the added punctuation somehow affects what appears?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Not for me.
            It opens a page that says

Did you mean: Symphony No. 1 (Tchaikovsky)?​
            The links themselves seem to link to slightly different pages with and without the bracket..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._1_(Tchaikovsky) with the question mark seemed to work
            Last edited by french frank; 08-09-23, 14:55.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

The links themselves seem to link to slightly different pages with and without the bracket..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._1_(Tchaikovsky) with the question mark seemed to work
              But in my case, the closing bracket of the URL was immediately followed by a full stop. Please note, that when I quote your message, the question mark gets deleted in the process, even in the preview. What else could that be but a bug?

Comment

Yes I've also been having occasional problems with URLs not inserting completely. I find the best solution is just to delete the link and insert again. This seems to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Yes I've also been having occasional problems with URLs not inserting completely. I find the best solution is just to delete the link and insert again. This seems to work.
                  Not in this case, I have tried it multiple times.

Comment

Not in this case, I have tried it multiple times.
                    It does seem to be a bug. A workaround which works is to link the text using the link icon in the menu above the entry box:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._1_(Tchaikovsky)
                    Last edited by Andrew Slater; 08-09-23, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

It does seem to be a bug. A workaround which works is to link the text using the link icon in the menu above the entry box:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._1_(Tchaikovsky)
                      I wonder if it has been fixed in version 6 of the software.

Comment

I wonder if it has been fixed in version 6 of the software.
                        I tried to find evidence of anyone describing it on the vB forum and found nothing - possibly not using the right search terms but that's not usually a problem. As this seems to be a crucial way that the developers find out about bugs I wouldn't be too hopeful. I also experimented with Roger Wright (music administrator) and had the same problem, so clearly it's that final bracket. Andrew's workaround fixed that:

Comment

I've just noticed the lettering of the title at the top of the new forum has indistinct edges, especially when it is enlarged a bit on my screen.

Is this to reflect the intended tone of the new forum - perhaps a bit edgy, or a bit fuzzy?
                          Last edited by Old Grumpy; 09-09-23, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            I've just noticed the lettering of the title at the top of the new forum has indistinct edges, especially when it is enlarged a bit on my screen.

Is this to reflect the intended tone of the new forum - perhaps a bit edgy, or a bit fuzzy?
                            Well the grey background looks like blotting paper so perhaps the ink ran a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Well the grey background looks like blotting paper so perhaps the ink ran a bit...

Comment

The Anomaly here, c'est moi : I've been away from the Forum for about five of the last 6-7 weeks, and therefore not kept up with this thread, which prior to that, had offered me solutions to anomalies, and various practical means of overcoming differences from the previous iteration of the Forum - and doubtless continues to.

I am (selfishly) wondering whether any thought has been gven to creating any kind of 'manual' of major operational differences. My heart sinks at the idea of [re-]reading the whole of this thread in order to be able to make full use of FoR3 again. Lazy me, I know .

Comment

Working...
                                X