Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....an intravenous version is available....it will gradually invade your synapes until your neural pathways are modified....gives access to football scores too....
    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....an intravenous version is available....it will gradually invade your synapes until your neural pathways are modified....gives access to football scores too....
      I believe that's what they told us in 1947 about the NHS....

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I am (selfishly) wondering whether any thought has been gven to creating any kind of 'manual' of major operational differences. My heart sinks at the idea of [re-]reading the whole of this thread in order to be able to make full use of FoR3 again.
        Well, I'm still discovering what the differences are! I think it would be easier if you outlined the difficulties you're finding. Apart from the admin jobs for which I regularly have to look for clues on the internet, I find day-to-day usage now pretty straightforward.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Well, I'm still discovering what the differences are! I think it would be easier if you outlined the difficulties you're finding. Apart from the admin jobs for which I regularly have to look for clues on the internet, I find day-to-day usage now pretty straightforward.
          I am generally au fait procedurally with most of the changes by now - the only problem I have is in responding to PMs; I still can't work out where on the page one is supposed to "reply".

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I think a 'Handy hints' thread might be useful (though perhaps the topics are covered elsewhere): for example, I don't know how I'd include quotes from different replies any more, and I never learned how to quote from different threads!
            Ay, there's the rub. I've just had a quick experiment. It was very fiddly with lots of scrolling up and down and it didn't work . A silly but obvious way is to reply with quote to each post separately. If I wanted to quote from something from a different thread, I'd start quoting from it on the thread it was on and then copy and paste the full quote with post ident into the new thread. Others may chip in with their solutions (hopefully better than mine).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I think a 'Handy hints' thread might be useful (though perhaps the topics are covered elsewhere): for example, I don't know how I'd include quotes from different replies any more, and I never learned how to quote from different threads!

Ay, there's the rub. I've just had a quick experiment. It was very fiddly with lots of scrolling up and down and it didn't work . A silly but obvious way is to reply with quote to each post separately. If I wanted to quote from something from a different thread, I'd start quoting from it on the thread it was on and then copy and paste the full quote with post ident into the new thread. Others may chip in with their solutions (hopefully better than mine).
              You click on 'quote' on each message you wish to quote (the word 'quote' should turn orange) and then scroll to the top of the page and click on 'Post Reply (n)', where 'n' should be the number of quotes you have selected. (I had to look this up, even though I've done it before: it's not at all intuitive.)

For quotes from posts from multiple threads it might be a good idea to open a separate window or tab for each thread and set up a dummy reply to the post in each separate thread with a quote, and then copy and paste the quote text from those dummy replies into the real reply. (I typed that rather quickly - I hope it makes sense!)

Comment

Thanks Andrew (and ff).

I'll experiment when I next want to do this!
                Copy and paste (and attribute to original author) might be the easiest option, it seems. You can then juggle a bit more with the spacing/layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

You click on 'quote' on each message you wish to quote (the word 'quote' should turn orange) and then scroll to the top of the page and click on 'Post Reply (n)', where 'n' should be the number of quotes you have selected. (I had to look this up, even though I've done it before: it's not at all intuitive.)
                  As soon as I click on "Quote" I'm whizzed down to the window at the bottom of the page before I have a chance to "Quote" the second post. That's on my usual Latest Activity view. I switched to Posts and couldn't even find Pulcinella's post. The [Page 10 latest post] link didn't work: it stopped at page 9. The first patch for vB6, which we haven't switched to yet, has now appeared. Andrew is dealing.

Comment

As soon as I click on "Quote" I'm whizzed down to the window at the bottom of the page before I have a chance to "Quote" the second post. That's on my usual Latest Activity view. I switched to Posts and couldn't even find Pulcinella's post. The [Page 10 latest post] link didn't work: it stopped at page 9. The first patch for vB6, which we haven't switched to yet, has now appeared. Andrew is dealing.
                    Same here!

Comment

Same here!
                      I was about to post this link. But now I seem to have succeeded. I changed a setting in the ACP, but that didn't seem change anything here. Then I came back and clicked Quote on No1 post (straight down to Post window) up to the top and clicked on post No 2 (same thing). Up to top of page again where Post Reply showed 2. Clicked on Post Reply (2) and ... down to the bottom again where there were now 2 quoted posts in the window. I'm not sure even I understand what I've said but it might be what Andrew was saying.

Comment

For quotes from posts from multiple threads it might be a good idea to open a separate window or tab for each thread and set up a dummy reply to the post in each separate thread with a quote, and then copy and paste the quote text from those dummy replies into the real reply. (I typed that rather quickly - I hope it makes sense!)
                        Experimented as suggested, and indeed I saw orange (better than seeing red!).

I was about to post this link. But now I seem to have succeeded. I changed a setting in the ACP, but that didn't seem change anything here. Then I came back and clicked Quote on No1 post (straight down to Post window) up to the top and clicked on post No 2 (same thing). Up to top of page again where Post Reply showed 2. Clicked on Post Reply (2) and ... down to the bottom again where there were now 2 quoted posts in the window. I'm not sure even I understand what I've said but it might be what Andrew was saying.
                        I think you're right!

A potentially good difference is that the additional post quoted doesn't lurk around being flagged for inclusion next time round too!

Comment

Where does the 'reason for editing' in a post appear?
                          It used to be visible under the original post but now we just see a message saying that the post has been edited and giving a time.

Comment

Where does the 'reason for editing' in a post appear?
                            It used to be visible under the original post but now we just see a message saying that the post has been edited and giving a time.
                            Doesn't that just mean that the editor didn't give a reason? A pity if so - some of the reasons are hilarious

Comment

Doesn't that just mean that the editor didn't give a reason? A pity if so - some of the reasons are hilarious
                              There is still a box to enter the reason.

I've edited this message but haven't filled-in the 'reason' box.

Comment

There is still a box to enter the reason.

I've edited this message but haven't filled-in the 'reason' box.
                                I'll edit this one and add a reason.

Done.
                                Last edited by Andrew Slater; 25-09-23, 10:13. Reason: Added 'Done'.

Comment

Working...
                                X