Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re the above I have now tried deleting the message already in TRASH I want to delete permenently, by clicking YES to the "are you sure?" question, only to find that the message has still not been removed from TRASH.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

I've just managed to delete an old pm permanently, by clicking the box against it and then clicking on "Delete Permanently". Did you click on the box first to select it?
      When I click on Deleted Items in the Message Centre, it brings up the list of deleted items which I can Delete Permanently but they're posts not messages deleted by the member, not by me or any other Host. Nothing anomalous with that except that we tend not to delete anything permanently. [So that only applies to Administrators)

I checked my own PM statistics in the ACP, then Deleted (sent to Trash) and Permanetly Deleted (from Trash) one item. It has disappeared but my PM statistics are unchanged: 8 in Trash, none of which appears in my Trash folder so I've no idea what they are. The newly deleted one has disappeared from my Inbox and the Trash folder is empty. But my post stats seem to be the same.

I'm sure I read something about the database storing 'conversations' and if your message is part of a conversation, both parties need to delete the message. I can't see where my total number of messages is, only the number of pages, though it used to show Inbox, Sent (and Deleted?) totals.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

When I click on Deleted Items in the Message Centre, it brings up the list of deleted items which I can Delete Permanently but they're posts not messages deleted by the member, not by me or any other Host. Nothing anomalous with that except that we tend not to delete anything permanently. [So that only applies to Administrators)

I checked my own PM statistics in the ACP, then Deleted (sent to Trash) and Permanently Deleted (from Trash) one item. It has disappeared but my PM statistics are unchanged: 8 in Trash, none of which appears in my Trash folder so I've no idea what they are.
        Yes the number in the inbox box remains the same whether or not they have been read, and whether they're "messages" or posts". Is there a difference between the two, by the way? If so, if I could translate my "messages" into "posts" maybe I could delete them! I am being ironic here... I think. The difficulty is that to permanently delete messages from TRASH, which is the only place they can be deleted (from), you click as required on the message (as per Andrew), and are then asked "are you sure?"; so you click "yes", only to find the message has not been removed (from TRASH). I've tried various things, like ticking the "read" box in the NW corner of the post/message, but nothing seems to make any difference. This is important to me, as I have frequently had "your inbox/outbox is full" warnings in the past, and I don't want people to think I'm deliberately blanking them.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The difficulty is that to permanently delete messages from TRASH, which is the only place they can be deleted (from), you click as required on the message (as per Andrew), and are then asked "are you sure?"; so you click "yes", only to find the message has not been removed (from TRASH).
          My message did disappear, even though it (apparently) didn't change my statistics: I think I did read that these did not count towards my quota once deleted.

I have just deleted the earliest message in my Sent folder (Select > Delete > Yes, send to Trash). Then I go to the Trash folder, and there it is. I Select > Delete Permanently (Cannot be undone) > OK. Trash folder is empty and when I go to my earliest messages in the the Sent folder, it has indeed gone. Is this what you have been doing? (I assume if you select multiple messages the same thing will happen). I will see if I can delete a few to try to reduce my number of pages.

Yes. I deleted about 20 and that has reduced my Sent messages (although they are still - apparently- in Trash even though the folder is empty, so my total messages are the same. But I'm prerty sure Delete Permanently is working.
          Last edited by french frank; 10-10-23, 16:45.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

My message did disappear, even though it (apparently) didn't change my statistics: I think I did read that these did not count towards my quota once deleted.

I have just deleted the earliest message in my Sent folder (Select > Delete > Yes, send to Trash). Then I go to the Trash folder, and there it is. I Select > Delete Permanently (Cannot be undone) > OK. Trash folder is empty and when I go to my earliest messages in the the Sent folder, it has indeed gone. Is this what you have been doing? (I assume if you select multiple messages the same thing will happen). I will see if I can delete a few to try to reduce my number of pages.

Yes. I deleted about 20 and that has reduced my Sent messages (although they are still - apparently- in Trash even though the folder is empty, so my total messages are the same. But I'm prerty sure Delete Permanently is working.
            I understand now. When going into TRASH to delete, one has to tick the messages to be deleted, then click OK. Thanks for your patience!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I understand now. When going into TRASH to delete, one has to tick the messages to be deleted, then click OK. Thanks for your patience!
              I learnt something! (About deleting messages, I mean )

Comment

I don't think I've changed any settings, but the latest post still showing in the BaL Schubert Imptomptu thread is Micky's from last night, though there have been more since.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I don't think I've changed any settings, but the latest post still showing in the BaL Schubert Imptomptu thread is Micky's from last night, though there have been more since.
                  Same here, except the avatar isn't his.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Same here, except the avatar isn't his.
                    After a spate of apparently behaving, the BaL thread has gone awry again, this time showing gurnemanz with no avatar as the latest post, though it isn't!
                    Very odd that it seems to be only that thread that's affected.

Comment

After a spate of apparently behaving, the BaL thread has gone awry again, this time showing gurnemanz with no avatar as the latest post, though it isn't!
                      Very odd that it seems to be only that thread that's affected.
                      Bewildering a Library?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Bewildering a Library?
                        Rewilding..........

Comment

this time showing gurnemanz with no avatar as the latest post, though it isn't!
                          Yes, I see gurnemanz as being the latest post (it is currently by mandryka), but his avatar is correct​. So is Micky D's. The updater is obviously in a state of lethargy: it eventually updates but to a point which is already out of date and the avatar lags behind.

Comment

Yes, I see gurnemanz as being the latest post (it is currently by mandryka), but his avatar is correct​. So is Micky D's. The updater is obviously in a state of lethargy: it eventually updates but to a point which is already out of date and the avatar lags behind.
                            Rather curiously though, apparently only for that thread.

PS: Perhaps a different problem, but Latest activity is all over the place this morning.
                            Last edited by Pulcinella; 14-10-23, 09:21. Reason: PS added.

Comment

Bargains thread now showing my post as the latest by time stamp and name, but with gurnemanz's avatar (and the last post is indeed currently from gurnemanz!).

Comment

Bargains thread now showing my post as the latest by time stamp and name, but with gurnemanz's avatar (and the last post is indeed currently from gurnemanz!).
                                It shows how useful avatars are. Check the avatar not the name. It's just riffling back through its records to see whose name is supposed to go with that avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X