This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    Actually, my pet hate are 'official photographers' who seem to be employed to take pictures to commemorate a big event. (Every time I see a concert photo of musicians in action I always imagine a photographer sitting clicking away and annoying their neighbours!)

There are two occasions I remember, one being in the upper circle of the Usher Hall during a Festival concert where a young woman walked in and started clicking away during the performance of an American Orchestra. Naturally, she chose the very quietest parts of the music to apply her trade, annoying quite a few audience members in the process. People complained at the interval but the damage was done by that time. Obviously, she'd been told to avoid the Grand Circle since we couldn't have the wealthier music lovers bothered!

The other occasion was at the Kennedy Centre in Washington when I was on holiday with a good friend. By coincidence, our visit coincided with the National Symphony Orchestra's Gala evening. Itzhak Perlman was conducting a young Alisia Weilerstein in the Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations, (which was fantastic!), followed by Perlman and Zukerman playing Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante! What more could I ask for?

However, inevitably, there was a young female photographer clicking away noisily during the Tchaikovsky. What was odd was that I was the only audience member who seemed to be annoyed. So annoyed that I complained to the usher during the interval who moved me to another seat in the most expensive part of the hall. I ended up sitting next to a charming young lady who accepted my invitation to go for a drink afterwards at the Watergate Centre and who, a year later, accepted my proposal of marriage to be Mrs. PG!

( I should mention that my friend, who isn't interested in music in the slightest, had witnessed a crime and spent his evening being interviewed by the FBI! He ended up being allowed to visit the White House but that's another story...!)

I should also mention that the Gala concert raised $8,000,000 for the Orchestra's fund! So, a pretty good evening all round.
    Lovely story PG.

I agree with you about photographers though, and have complained myself. Surely modern digital cameras can take pictures silently. The clicking, whirring and bleeping noises are electronically generated and should be able to be TURNED OFF!

OG

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Lovely story PG.

I agree with you about photographers though, and have complained myself. Surely modern digital cameras can take pictures silently. The clicking, whirring and bleeping noises are electronically generated and should be able to be TURNED OFF!

OG
      Erm NO
      Most digital SLR cameras have mechanical shutters
      though you can get soundproof housings

Comment

Fair point, Mr GG (I am not a photographer). Well, they should perhaps invest in one of those housings then. Still doesn't justify all the electronic bleeps when focussing, adjusting lens length etc...

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          So this chap is seriously suggesting that the only way he is able to review a concert is to scribble all the way through while the music is playing?

I suggest a visit to a neurologist as he obviously has problems with memory
          That's unfair. As one who has done reviews, it is not a matter of scribbling all the way through, but jotting down notes from time to time as an aide-memoire, particularly when reviewing a new or previously unknown work. We don't all enjoy unfailing retentive memories! Anyway, one tries to be discrete. One of my worst was at the Almeida in Islington, where spots pick out and frame individual audience members, or did a few years ago, and by the time you realise this it's too late to move. There I was for all to see in my island of light, jotting pad on knee!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            That's unfair. As one who has done reviews, it is not a matter of scribbling all the way through, but jotting down notes from time to time as an aide-memoire, particularly when reviewing a new or previously unknown work. We don't all enjoy unfailing retentive memories! Anyway, one tries to be discrete. One of my worst was at the Almeida in Islington, where spots pick out and frame individual audience members, or did a few years ago, and by the time you realise this it's too late to move. There I was for all to see in my island of light, jotting pad on knee!
            It depends on the kind of scribbling, I suppose. I wouldn't mind a virtually noiseless pencil. A scratchy pen or ballpen, on the other side ...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              That's unfair.
              Ok
              How about taking the squeezebox along as well to check the intonation?

What's the difference between someone writing in a performance and someone sending text messages or browsing the internet on a phone or tablet?

Comment

Phone and Tablet glow; they annoy if they are near my line of sight even if they are 10 m away. I probably wouldn't even spot someone unobtrusively scribbling away if he weren't directly next to me, and then wouldn't mind as long as it doesn't make a sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
                  Phone and Tablet glow;
                  Not if you turn the illumination off

Comment

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
                    It depends on the kind of scribbling, I suppose. I wouldn't mind a virtually noiseless pencil. A scratchy pen or ballpen, on the other side ...
                    Chalk and blackboard?

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                      Chalk and blackboard?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        Not if you turn the illumination off
                        Most don't.

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                        Chalk and blackboard?
                        Chisel and slate!

Comment