No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Best of luck tomorrow E H.
    I think it's not right that Ireland have the advantage of 1 National Anthem to Nil, even before the match starts, plus a home crowd in full throat. I'm not happy either that the Irish team is over-dominated by Leinster men with few if any Ulster players selected. But sure it's only a game, isn't it? And don't the English love a challenge!
    And that’s what I call a game of rugby ….

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

And that’s what I call a game of rugby ….
      . . . and England certainly rose to the challenge.

Comment

Happy St Padraig's Day to one and all. Have a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Happy St Padraig's Day to one and all.
          La Fheile Padraig sona, daoibh.

Aisling - a Dream and a Vision - when I am asleep

Last edited by Padraig; 18-03-24, 15:38. Reason: poor link

Comment

La Fheile Padraig sona, daoibh.

Aisling - a Dream and a Vision - when I am asleep

Last edited by Padraig; 18-03-24, 15:40. Reason: post withdrawn

Comment

This turned up yesterday on a certain playlist and I was left feeling that although Afro Celt Sound System could be a bit hit or miss, this one with Iarla on lead is a fantastic piece with a West African input.
              Provided to YouTube by PIASEireann · Afro Celt Sound SystemVolume 2: Release℗ Real World Records LtdReleased on: 2015-05-01Auto-generated by YouTube.

Eireann
              An gcuirfea fios orm / Would you search me out
              Am mbeadh aithne gat orm / Would you recognize me
              M'uisci, croi gach crann / My waters, the heart of every tree
              An gcuirfea fios orm / Would you look for me

N'na Kandje... barika... sondon baya gbelemande... ah...
              Ikan soron kanke djede wolodi... barika bilatomandi ha
              Kiyensoron de kan n'ke
              Diede wolodi... dununya... sodon baya gbelemande
              Eh nana Kandje fiye dinyesa

Chuiris cros I lar an bhothair dom / You placed a sign on the road to guide me
              Lamh na gcarad in am a ghatair dom / A hand of friendship in a time of need
              Feach doimhin isteach I'd shuile gorm / I look deep into your blue eyes

Eireann, Eireann / Ireland, Ireland

Chuiris cros I lar an bjothair dom / You placed a sign on the road to guide me
              Lamh na gcarad in am a ghatair dom / A hand of friendship in a time of need
              Feach doimhin isteach I'd shuile gorm / I look deep into your blue eyes

Eireann, Eireann / Ireland, Ireland​

Comment

Skye's wonderful Brìghde Chaimbeul - 'Banish The Giant of Doubt & Despair' (We can all do with that!)

Banish The Giant of Doubt & Despair from “Carry Them With Us” by Brìghde Chaimbeul (Glitterbeat/tak:til) Buy/stream now: https://idol-io.link/CarryThemWithUs...

Happy Gaelic Good Friday to ane 'n' a'!

Comment

They’ve just been playing this on Composer Of The Week

Charles Villiers Stanford

Irish Rhapsody No 4, Op 141 (The Fisherman of Loch Neagh and What he Saw)

Performer: Ulster Orchestra. Conductor: Vernon Handley.
                  • CHANDOS : CHAN-8581.
                  • CHANDOS.

A truly lovely piece of music that Ive not heard before. Given how polluted Loch Neagh is these days presumably any fisherman there has to fish elsewhere?

Comment

They’ve just been playing this on Composer Of The Week

Charles Villiers Stanford

Irish Rhapsody No 4, Op 141 (The Fisherman of Loch Neagh and What he Saw)

Performer: Ulster Orchestra. Conductor: Vernon Handley.
                    Yes E H, I heard that. I always liked Stanford's music. He represented a sophisticated version of what were really to my ear Irish sounds. I was more familiar with his song arrangements which I admired. Nevertheless he could not convince me to abandon my love of traditional Irish Airs and Songs. Here is his arrangement of a song I learned in primary school and which I don't think I've heard since.

irish songs arranged by cv stanford - Google Search

I believe it will pass the Irish Friday test.​

Comment

Yes E H, I heard that. I always liked Stanford's music. He represented a sophisticated version of what were really to my ear Irish sounds. I was more familiar with his song arrangements which I admired. Nevertheless he could not convince me to abandon my love of traditional Irish Airs and Songs. Here is his arrangement of a song I learned in primary school and which I don't think I've heard since.

irish songs arranged by cv stanford - Google Search

I believe it will pass the Irish Friday test.​
                      Does this though ?
                      Peter Hope ‘The Ring Of Kerry Suite ‘
                      being performed live tonight on Friday Night In Music Night
                      never heard it and know nothing about it. I wonder if and how he musically conveys the experience of being stuck behind a coach on it ?

Comment

Does this though ?
                        Peter Hope ‘The Ring Of Kerry Suite ‘
                        being performed live tonight on Friday Night In Music Night
                        never heard it and know nothing about it. I wonder if and how he musically conveys the experience of being stuck behind a coach on it ?
                        I'm not confident that it would pass the Irish Friday test, E H, but I'm sure a jaunting car tour of Lough Leane would stir the cockles of any Irishman's heart.

However, here is a strong contender in any competition - no, not Raglan Road, but The Dawning of the Day (Fainne Geal an Lae)

Fáinne Geal An Lae (The Dawning of the Day) - Iarla Ó Lionáird - YouTube

Comment

I'm not confident that it would pass the Irish Friday test, E H, but I'm sure a jaunting car tour of Lough Leane would stir the cockles of any Irishman's heart.

However, here is a strong contender in any competition - no, not Raglan Road, but The Dawning of the Day (Fainne Geal an Lae)

turned out to be quite a nice piece full of trad Irish Airs. One section The Jaunting Car was a BBC Test Card piece for years so must have been played thousands of times . Peter was a BBC in house arranger - the Ring Of Kerry suite won an Ivor Novello award,

Comment

thanks for posting P. Iarla is out touring with Matthew Berrill and Cormac McCarthy at the moment

heres a snippet of them rehearsing in Cork

Comment

On last week's 'Music Planet', Kathryn Tickell played a piece by Mary Bergan, Mary Bergin, Alec Finn & Johnny "Ringo" McDonnagh. She called Mary the queen of the tin whistle. I went looking for some tracks by her and in the process found that she was/had been a member of the all women group, Dordan. I thought this was a beautiful piece, though Mary only plays a little on it - beatiful singing from Martina Goggin.
                              Martina Goggin (singing), Mery Bergin (Fl), Dearbhail Standun (Fid), Kathleen Loughnane (Harp)Live at fiddlersgreen 1998-10-03

Here's Mary playing with Alec Finn on bazouki.
                              Tuam, Co. Galway : Irish tin whistle player, Mary Bergin, and member of the all female traditional group Dordán, accompanied here by the late great bouzouki ...

Happy sunny Irish Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                On last week's 'Music Planet', Kathryn Tickell played a piece by Mary Bergan, Mary Bergin, Alec Finn & Johnny "Ringo" McDonnagh. She called Mary the queen of the tin whistle. I went looking for some tracks by her and in the process found that she was/had been a member of the all women group, Dordan. I thought this was a beautiful piece, though Mary only plays a little on it - beatiful singing from Martina Goggin.
                                Martina Goggin (singing), Mery Bergin (Fl), Dearbhail Standun (Fid), Kathleen Loughnane (Harp)Live at fiddlersgreen 1998-10-03

Here's Mary playing with Alec Finn on bazouki.
                                Tuam, Co. Galway : Irish tin whistle player, Mary Bergin, and member of the all female traditional group Dordán, accompanied here by the late great bouzouki ...

Happy sunny Irish Friday.
                                Agus mar an gceanna duitse, a Sheain.

Had not heard Dordan before, but familiar with Mary Bergin.

Here are a couple of whistlers who also sing. ( cue 'If I were a blackbird I'd whistle and sing')

Julie Fowlis and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X