No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange to think that it was Hans Rosbaud who was responsible for the first recording of Rameau's 'Platée', way back in 1956.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      ... and Guardian.
      Only if he spends ten quid by buying 15 boil in the bag kippers.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Very interesting.... 1955-62 Bruckner... ROSBAUD/SWR.

surprisingly expensive download ...
        Listen to unlimited or download Bruckner: Symphonies Nos. 2-9 by Südwestfunk-Orchester Baden-Baden in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

God knows when I'll get round to it though (or even back to orchestral music at all yet....)

It

It's a shame the inlay describes No.8 as "1887-90", in concession to the fact that Haas restored some passages from the original score. The version is of course the 1890 Revision, just with those 5 short passages Haas restored (1 in the adagio, 4 in the finale) which were actually left in the 1890 revision at first; Bruckner appears to have crossed them out later, but even this may not be certain. Calling it "Mixed Versions 1887/90" as even abruckner does, seems to me misleading about the version itself and what we hear, even if textually (pedantically!) accurate.
        The main point is that in all other respects it ​is the revised 8th, very different in dozens of large and small details from 1887, which is a distinct, striking and very worthwhile symphonic experience in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
          Only if he spends ten quid by buying 15 boil in the bag kippers.
          You are clearly not a canny Waitrose shopper. The nominal price of the cappuccino (£2.25) and the Guardian (£2.00 on Weekdays) may comprise part of the £10, thus one need only spend £5.75 on other items (even less at weekends).
          Last edited by Bryn; 11-10-17, 10:08. Reason: Predictive text error.

Comment

You are clearly not a canny Waitress shopper. The nominal price of the cappuccino (£2.25) and the Guardian (£2.00 on Weekdays) may comprise part of the £10, thus one need only spend £5.75 on other items (even less at weekends).
            "Waitress shopper"... is a very interesting expression.
            Especially after watching Episode 3 of The Deuce (Sky Atlantic)...

Does she bring it to your table?
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-10-17, 02:05.

Comment

"Waitress shopper"... is a very interesting expression.
              Especially after watching Episode 3 of The Deuce (Sky Atlantic)...

Does she bring it to your table?

Ah the serendipity of predictive text on mobile phones.

Now to correct it.

Comment

Just added the Rosbaud Bruckner set details, as its available on Naxos Music Library (streaming service) with a PDF booklet. And to re-iterate, for those who are willing to stream music - if travelling via or to London, a trip to the Barbican Library with your proof of ID/address will gain you membership and access to the NML (with no residential requirements). http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...329#post643329 #29

Comment

... for them as is lookin' for the Rosbaud Bruckner in CD format - I think amazon.de is currently the cheapest.

Comment

It's a shame the inlay describes No.8 as "1887-90", in concession to the fact that Haas restored some passages from the original score. The version is of course the 1890 Revision, just with those 5 short passages Haas restored (1 in the adagio, 4 in the finale) which were actually left in the 1890 revision at first; Bruckner appears to have crossed them out later, but even this may not be certain. Calling it "Mixed Versions 1887/90" as even abruckner does, seems to me misleading about the version itself and what we hear, even if textually (pedantically!) accurate.
                    The main point is that in all other respects it ​is the revised 8th, very different in dozens of large and small details from 1887, which is a distinct, striking and very worthwhile symphonic experience in itself.
                    Yes, my filing system goes 1887, 1888 (the Adagio is different), 1890 Haas and 1890 Novak

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      Just added the Rosbaud Bruckner set details, as its available on Naxos Music Library (streaming service) with a PDF booklet. And to re-iterate, for those who are willing to stream music - if travelling via or to London, a trip to the Barbican Library with your proof of ID/address will gain you membership and access to the NML (with no residential requirements). http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...329#post643329 #29
                      You can read the excellent booklet note on Qobuz HiFi etc. now, and the set will be available to stream there from Friday....

Comment

Anyone know Benjamin Godard's 'Dante'? An operatic amalgam of the story of his life, and aspects of the Divine Comedy, apparently.

As I've been going through The Divine Comedy with a group over the last three years, I'm interested to hear of a recording of this work being in the offing (MDT pre-release list).

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                          Anyone know Benjamin Godard's 'Dante'? An operatic amalgam of the story of his life, and aspects of the Divine Comedy, apparently.

As I've been going through The Divine Comedy with a group over the last three years, I'm interested to hear of a recording of this work being in the offing (MDT pre-release list).
                          I will keep an eye/ear open. My Italian is far too weak to read Dante in the original so have had to rely on the Tom Philips translation of the first. Any recommendation re. English translations of Purgatorio and Paradiso?

Comment

I will keep an eye/ear open. My Italian is far too weak to read Dante in the original so have had to rely on the Tom Philips translation of the first. Any recommendation re. English translations of Purgatorio and Paradiso?
                            The one-volume Mandelbaum Everyman's Library is pretty good if you just want the English. There are three outstanding dual-language versions, Penguin Classics (Robin Kirkpatrick, in three volumes; a one-volume version with just the English is also available), Robert and Jean Hollander (three volumes, Anchor Books) and Durling and Martinez, in three volumes, Oxford University Press. I wouldn't be without any of them! If you pressed me really hard I'd probably go for Kirkpatrick.

Comment

... the other scholarly option to consider is the Princeton edn in six vols (three each of Text and Commentary), transl. Chas. Singleton

You might also wish to consider the Yale Open Course -

Otherwise, the very interesting Mandelbaum transl mentioned by Silvestrione above - you can get this in three cheapo paperbacks (bantam, I think) - and in that format there is a parallel text Italian/ English.

: http://amzn.eu/1ob334A

Last edited by vinteuil; 14-10-17, 16:24.

Comment

I don't know very much about the Divine Comedy, although a colleague and friend of mine in Brisbane decided some years ago to do something like what Silvestrione is involved in, and have a few friends round one evening every week (who included a classics professor, and otherwise mostly poets and musicians, including me on one occasion when I happened to be in town) to read and discuss a single canto, and went through the entire book that way. I was amazed and fascinated to imagine that there is so much in it, but I haven't (yet) made much of an investigation of it myself. I'm very interested to hear about good translations. My Italian is pretty basic but I think I'd want to have the original there, since the metrical and rhyming structure of it is so important. Wasn't there a recently published translation by erstwhile TV critic Clive James? (I have a soft spot for him because he used to be a regular customer at Farringdon Records in Holborn Viaduct when I used to work there in 1980-81.)

Comment

Working...
                                X