Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, that must have been the deciding factor. She doesn't seem to have had any other association with the arts. But then she is only reviewing ACE's use of funds. Oh, but ...
    Pretty sure she’s well plugged into the cultural scene FF .. She was on the board of Anglia TV for a spell . Think I’ve seen her at the opera . You can judge her singing abilities from googling Chemistry song Mary Archer.I repeat I can’t face linking to it .She is certainly brave.
    Try googling Darren Henley’s CV and tell me what does he know about the Arts ? He rose from the majestic heights of being a local radio news editor to head of ACE, I’ve known a fair few of the former and believe me ..the phrase whelk stall comes to mind. Though you do get the odd genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Try googling Darren Henley’s CV and tell me what does he know about the Arts ? He rose from the majestic heights of being a local radio news editor to head of ACE
      Via Classic FM, no less.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

A suitably nostalgic Sunday Breakfast from Martin Handley, presenting his last programme after twenty years on weekend Breakfast. He reviewed musical mileposts in his life and was clearly in a sentimental mood, which I thought appropriate. He's long been one of my favourite R3 presenters and my own Sunday mornings won't be the same.

Thank you, Martin, for all the music and for all your entertaining and informative scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          A suitably nostalgic Sunday Breakfast from Martin Handley, presenting his last programme after twenty years on weekend Breakfast. He reviewed musical mileposts in his life and was clearly in a sentimental mood, which I thought appropriate. He's long been one of my favourite R3 presenters and my own Sunday mornings won't be the same.

Thank you, Martin, for all the music and for all your entertaining and informative scripts.
          indeed, but nil desperandum kb, IIRC you commented on Skellers, supposedly, final appearance on Essential Classics …… and he’s back - even if only making the tea …….

Comment

I'm disappointed that Martin Handley is leaving Sunday Breakfast. After the breathy enthusiasm and poor diction of Alker on Saturday, Sunday mornings have been a time for me to get the world in perspective. I'm not looking forward to the presumably livelier (if not more banal) style of Tom McK.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

indeed, but nil desperandum kb, IIRC you commented on Skellers, supposedly, final appearance on Essential Classics …… and he’s back - even if only making the tea …….
              No, that wasn't me, Anton - but I am mourning what seems a general decline.... Glad that Skellers is still broadcasting and I'm cheered by the continuing voice of Jonathan on TTN!

Comment

Originally posted by Serrano View Post
                I'm disappointed that Martin Handley is leaving Sunday Breakfast. After the breathy enthusiasm and poor diction of Alker on Saturday, Sunday mornings have been a time for me to get the world in perspective. I'm not looking forward to the presumably livelier (if not more banal) style of Tom McK.
                Indeed- Martin is a fine broadcaster who will be much missed.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Skellers moved sideways whereas I think Martin might be retiring.I’m sure Ian will be doing more than making tea.Tea fetching used to be my very junior job. Letting a radio presenter out to get tea for the team is a very high risk strategy - in recognition of which they used to be quite good at buying the round. These days of course a round of coffees is a very substantial undertaking. I don’t expect any sympathy but the demise of the BBC tea lady and trolley was one of the biggest blows….

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Yes, he'll be much missed.

Comment

Indeed- Martin is a fine broadcaster who will be much missed.
                      Yes, he is and he will be! However, IMHO we could have been landed with a much less agreeable replacement than Tom McKinney.
                      Martin's 'watch this space' was clearly a hint that he's not going to be limited to introducing live concerts.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Yes, he is and he will be! However, IMHO we could have been landed with a much less agreeable replacement than Tom McKinney.
                        Martin's 'watch this space' was clearly a hint that he's not going to be limited to introducing live concerts.
                        Perhaps he'll end up on TTN, which seems to be where all the good presenters go.

Comment

I hadn't realised Martin Handley was leaving Sunday Breakfast until hearing his valedictory broadcast this morning, and am very sad. His warm and welcoming voice and evident musical experience and expertise will be sorely missed.
                          Regarding Saturday, I don't mind Elizabeth Alker - she too is clearly a musician even if her preferences are somewhat more alternative than Martin's.

Comment

I think Martin might be retiring.
                            ... well, he is 72

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... well, he is 72

Whatever his age, some of us will very much miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Agreed excellent broadcaster.

Comment

Working...
                                X