Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

That would leave you literally guttered.
    OK, you win!

Comment

Today's 17.5C has outdone the previous 17C as 2024's maximum thus far, ensuring a very pleasant cycle trip over to Streatham just now. Tomorrow's will probably not get so high as winds swing round to a more southwesterly direction and increase, heralding Friday's change back to a cold Atlantic flow expected to last into early next week. Our crab apple trees are coming into blossom - a good month ahead of usual, giving an indication of just how mild a winter it's been. Hyacinths are in full bloom, as has been our first tulip, and the daffs are almost over.

Comment

I was wrong - today's temperature has topped 17C for a second day in succession. A quick amble 'round the block showed the difference a degree or two makes as a trigger for bringing on the natural cycle: bushes barely in bud yesterday are now half-sprung with foliage, and I'd swear the grass has put on another centimetre. .

Comment

Well, up here, a piercing NW wind has driven in a filth of a day with rain, mirk, fogs, Temp 8C max.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Well, up here, a piercing NW wind has driven in a filth of a day with rain, mirk, fogs, Temp 8C max.
            We're sure to be joining you tomorrow; it'll be the quilted overcoat and gloves back on for the shopping bike trip

Comment

I can literally see from my window the leading edge of the approaching cold front as a long grey line, underslung with curtains of rain blocking out the hills beyond, advancing from the north west as I write. Hopefully this precipitation line will be out of the picture in the next couple of hours.

Edit: Steady moderate rain here now.
              Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 22-03-24, 13:23.

Comment

Nice shot clearly showing the long cold front lying across the south; also showery dappled cloud to the NW, and medium-height cloud circulating around the parent low to the north of Scotland. What the photo does not show in the Caluna over Spain, namely hot air being trasported NW from the Sahara, trapping heat and turning skies there orange. It is currently very warm across France.

http://wwew.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/133953-general-weather-chat-march-2024/page/32/#comments

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page for the post in question

Comment

Pleasantly bracing afternoon for my 60-minute circular walk - dashed back for the 4pm deadline, only then remembering that Jazz Record Requests is not being broadcast today!

Next week not looking good.

Comment

Pleasantly bracing afternoon for my 60-minute circular walk - dashed back for the 4pm deadline, only then remembering that Jazz Record Requests is not being broadcast today!

Next week not looking good.
                    Weather or music?
                    At least there was real*, and uninterrupted, music at 4pm even if it wasn't jazz ...
                    *For clarification real as in not dumbtime/chat show etc, not real as in not jazz - I don't belong to the 'jazz isn't real music' camp.

Comment

The rain continues to fall...

We've had no significant dry spell of any kind this winter and only a small handful of completely dry days since October. It's playing havoc with my daily walk routine which is anything but daily. A trot down to the local Waitrose between the showers is all I can muster just lately with strongest winds adding to the misery.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        The rain continues to fall...

We've had no significant dry spell of any kind this winter and only a small handful of completely dry days since October. It's playing havoc with my daily walk routine which is anything but daily. A trot down to the local Waitrose between the showers is all I can muster just lately with strongest winds adding to the misery.
                        Here too - fortunately, living as I do in a relatively urban area offers pavements to walk alternatives to the woodland paths nearby which I much prefer. It will be some distance into the next dry period - when it comes! - before the chance of any woodland strolls presents, which is a shame, as I always benefit from the positive impulse evoked in observing the course of nature waking up at this time of the year.

Comment

Here too - fortunately, living as I do in a relatively urban area offers pavements to walk alternatives to the woodland paths nearby which I much prefer. It will be some distance into the next dry period - when it comes! - before the chance of any woodland strolls presents, which is a shame, as I always benefit from the positive impulse evoked in observing the course of nature waking up at this time of the year.
                          The rain continues unabated in west Angus. Farmers are trying to plough when they should already have seeds planted. The farm vehicles have turned the roads into a total mudfest, and even with the forewarnings of 'mud on road' signs, you still find yourself sliding around like it was ice. And, of course, holes all over - evening driving is very dodgy and with the rain, it is often difficult to detect a hole that is filled with water. No sign of it stopping...wettest winter I can remember.

Comment

From the West country up to the Midlands they would appear to have been experiencing exceptionally severe weather since this morning - severe gales, thunder, large hailstones - Contributors on a meteorological website are being asked to look out for tornadoes! Here it's been just wet and windy, so far today. At the moment Saturday looks like being the one dry day expected during the next week, though with low pressure systems hovering around nothing can be ruled out.

Comment

Utter chilly filth up here - NE winds, driven drizzle.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                Utter chilly filth up here - NE winds, driven drizzle.
                                Just checked Met Office radar re our tennis game at 4pm. Your Northern filth is very apparent there but apart from a strong breeze it looks like we will get away it down here, even with some sunshine.

Comment

Working...
                                X