Clear All

Late night piano preludes

Shostakovich Op 34
    Alkan Op 31

Oil Mustonen

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Miloslav Kabeláč - Symphony #1
      Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, Marko Ivanovic. Supraphon. 16 bit Download.

Working my way through these in order, 1-8

Terrific cycle, and the CD set is nicely presented and under £20 for those that prefer CDs.

I'll play a couple this morning, I think.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Terrific cycle, and the CD set is nicely presented and under £20 for those that prefer CDs.

I'll play a couple this morning, I think.

It was your good self that made me aware of this composer

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Miloslav Kabeláč - Symphony #1
          Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, Marko Ivanovic. Supraphon. 16 bit Download.

Working my way through these in order, 1-8
          I'd never heard of the composer before, but this is wonderful music (listening to the Qobuz stream). With only the first symphony listened to I've placed an order for the CDs (physical format this time because the download doesn't include the booklet, which I consider essential in the case of music which is new to me).

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
            I'd never heard of the composer before, but this is wonderful music (listening to the Qobuz stream). With only the first symphony listened to I've placed an order for the CDs (physical format this time because the download doesn't include the booklet, which I consider essential in the case of music which is new to me).
            I didn’t know this composer until teamsaint posted about him last year.

I agree about the booklet, but these days, most of the time there’s enough on the internet to get by without one, IMV.

Comment

It really is a mystery why he seems so neglected, DJ. You're in for a real treat.

Got this set from one of my lads as a birthday present this year, and he's still in my good books !!

Very curious pricing on Amazon. CDs including autorip around £26, MP3 download £59. Bonkers.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I only knew of him through his Inventions for percussion which was on a Philips LP I had (the Strasbourg kitchenware bunch), and his Mystery of Time and Hamlet Improvisation on Supraphon Ancerl Gold. I will also listen via QOBUZ.

Last edited by Bryn; 26-04-17, 11:14.

Comment

Janacek: Orchestral Music Vol.3
                  Glagolitic Mass; Adagio;
                  Hail Mary(David Stewart, violin, Karstein Askeland, organ);
                  Our Father.(Johannes Wik, harp, Karstein Askeland,organ)
                  Sara Jakubiak(soprano), Susan Bickley(mezzo-soprano),
                  Stuart Skelton(tenor), Gabor Bretz(bass), Thomas Trotter(organ),
                  Edvard Greig Kor, Bergen Cathedral Choir,
                  Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Edward Gardner.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Janacek: Orchestral Music Vol.3
                    Glagolitic Mass; Adagio;
                    Hail Mary(David Stewart, violin, Karstein Askeland, organ);
                    Our Father.(Johannes Wik, harp, Karstein Askeland,organ)
                    Sara Jakubiak(soprano), Susan Bickley(mezzo-soprano),
                    Stuart Skelton(tenor), Gabor Bretz(bass), Thomas Trotter(organ),
                    Edvard Greig Kor, Bergen Cathedral Choir,
                    Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Edward Gardner.
                    A fine recording, using the new edition of the 1928 'final' version of the score for the Glagolitic Mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      A fine recording, using the new edition of the 1928 'final' version of the score for the Glagolitic Mass.
                      Agreed Bryn. I am glad that Gardner is doing much work in this repertoire, eg with Lutoslawski as well.

Berio: Realisations
                      Schubert Renderings I, II & III.
                      Brahms:Clarinet Sonata No.1 in F minor, op.120(I)
                      Mahler Leider und Gesang aus der Jugendzeit(II)
                      (I)Roderick Williams(baritone), (II)Michael Collins(clarinet)
                      Bergen PO, Edward Gardner.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Arvo Pärt – Live
                        Collage über B-A-C-H for strings, oboe, harpsichord and piano
                        Sieben Magnificat-Antiphonen for mixed choir a cappella
                        Cecilia, vergine romana for mixed choir and orchestra
                        Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten for string orchestra and bell
                        Litany. Prayers of St John Chrysostom for Each Hour of the Day and Night for soloists, mixed choir and orchestra
                        The Hilliard Ensemble, Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Münchner Rundfunkorchester
                        Directors: Robert King, Peter Dijkstra, Ulf Schirmer, Marcello Viotti
                        Recorded live 2000/2011 Munich
                        BR Klassik

A super new release from Munich ! I was reminded of hearing Pärt's 'Berliner Messe' played in 2011 at Michaelskirche, Munich.
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 26-04-17, 17:42.

Comment

Bernard van Dieren's remarkable (for any composer living in this country in 1912) first string quartet, on utube. B.vanD. may not have had quite the musical personality to gain much of a following (beyond the Warlock/Lambert circle around WW1), but this music surely deserves to be considered groundbreakingly radical, and on its own terms, alongside Berg's and Schoenberg's, at this early date.

BREAKING NEWS!!! A BRAND NEW two-CD set of van Dieren's COMPLETE piano music is being released commercially on September 1, 2022!!! All of the works are per...

A composer worthy of further investigation... there's heaps of other stuff of is to be found on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Bernard van Dieren's remarkable (for any composer living in this country in 1912) first string quartet, on utube. B.vanD. may not have had quite the musical personality to gain much of a following (beyond the Warlock/Lambert circle around WW1), but this music surely deserves to be considered groundbreakingly radical, and on its own terms, alongside Berg's and Schoenberg's, at this early date.

BREAKING NEWS!!! A BRAND NEW two-CD set of van Dieren's COMPLETE piano music is being released commercially on September 1, 2022!!! All of the works are per...

A composer worthy of further investigation... there's heaps of other stuff of is to be found on there.
                            Ah, yes, it is indeed remarkable. To date it's stll not had a public performance; the recording that you have there is a BBC broadcast in the composer's centenary year (to which I listened at the time) by the Gabrieli Quartet which, as far as I know, is the only ensemble ever to have played it.

His fourth quartet's up there as well but why he used double bass instead of cello I have no idea, since hardly anything in the bass part is below the cello's register.

Comment

Lutosławski:

Chain 3

Chantefleurs et Chantefables
                              Lucy Crowe (soprano)

[interval]

Silesian Triptych
                              Lucy Crowe (soprano)

Symphony No 3

BBC Symphony Orchestra
                              Edward Gardner
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                Lutosławski:

Chain 3

Chantefleurs et Chantefables
                                Lucy Crowe (soprano)

[interval]

Silesian Triptych
                                Lucy Crowe (soprano)

Symphony No 3

BBC Symphony Orchestra
                                Edward Gardner

Great programme (but I don’t know the recordings).

Comment

Working...
                                X