X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From "Copland conducts Copland."
    Old American Songs. CSO/ Warfield.

really lovely singing, to say the least.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

The Keilbert 'Gotterdammerubg' on Testament. Found in a charity shop for £2.00.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

I love that - it's in my collection.

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        A double cd of the late, great Mr. John Ogdon and his spouse playing Russian and French music. Fantastic music making. (50p from the Ca Research shop!)
        That's a great purchase.

Generally, one of the things I am finding is that a lot of the less well known music is the most expensive which I suppose I should have guessed.

Now then - I have posted Oscar Navarro, Spain, Born 1981 before but not the following link.

My head says this is cliched film music - and my heart says I really like it. I will go with my heart until I hear something that changes it.

Oscar Navarro - El Arco de Noe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4kx34fH0rs
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 17-09-16, 21:02.

Comment

The First Night of the 2016 Proms

La Marseillaise

Tchaikovsky: Fantasy Overture - Romeo and Juliet
          Elgar: Cello Concerto
          Sol Gabetta (cello)

[interval]

Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky
          Olga Borodina (mezzo soprano)
          BBC National Chorus of Wales
          BBC Symphony Chorus

BBC Symphony Orchestra
          Sakari Oramo

I was present and this is the first time I've seen the TV recording.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

My head says this is cliched film music - and my heart says I really like it. I will go with my heart until I hear something that changes it.

Oscar Navarro - El Arco de Noe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4kx34fH0rs
            You know, I spent many evenings in the pits of various theatres playing shows and now that I don't play anymore it's this activity I really miss. Not trying to play big masterpieces with conductors who want to be Karajan but the simple communication of lovely tuneful music.

Sometimes, a 'cliche' is what's best.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              You know, I spent many evenings in the pits of various theatres playing shows and now that I don't play anymore it's this activity I really miss. Not trying to play big masterpieces with conductors who want to be Karajan but the simple communication of lovely tuneful music.

Sometimes, a 'cliche' is what's best.
              That's great to hear. I am a bit defensive about my classical music preferences owing to uncertainty. I'm a listener rather than a musician. What I also know is that my preference is for late 19th and early 20th Century music although I search widely and will naturally extend to aspects of the avant-garde and early music. The bit that I have not quite got is a lot of the solid stuff of the 1700s and early to mid 1800s which takes us back to the debate on another thread on what is serious music. There is a feeling in me that I can't be fully serious unless I've got that bit as well. Further, I'm very picky on the late 20th Century atonal - more than I think I should be given some leanings towards the percussive and electro-acoustic and there is a definite weakness for a commercial tune. Anyhow, enough. Here is the very lush Juan J Colomer, Spain, Born 1966 which underpins the latter point:

Juan J. Colomer - Ave Maria - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUeNjw3C_8

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Nah - RVW describes someone else's self-imposed bravery. Ludders uses his own heroism, overcoming thoughts of suicide at the devastation of his deafness, to expand the universe. Time and space cracked with those opening Eb major chords.
                OK I'll settle for Mick Kennedy's English Eroica tag then.
                There's got to be a joke about emperors and penguins here but I can't quite make it work.

Comment

This evening:

Listening to my scores 167:

Vaughan Williams:
                  Symphony No 8 in D minor - study score
                  Symphony No 9 in E minor - study score

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

And something tells me you've got Thomas Hampson singing them too.

Comment

Last night, a Proms on TV catch-up of the Munich/Gergiev concert of Ravel, Rachmaninov, and Strauss.
                      Don't think I had been aware of the fact that a celesta was included in Bolero till I saw it being played.
                      How anyone follows Gergiev's beat utterly escapes me.
                      Spent much of the concert synching the picture and audio, though (a possibility with my smart TV); not sure if this is an internet speed problem or not. The TV seems to remember the setting, so I'll have to find out later if it's OK for a different concert.

Comment

Earlier today on TTN: An excellent performance of
                        Mozart: Piano Sonata No.12 in F major (K.332) played by Kevin Kenner.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Just hearing Hadyn's Oratorio, The Seasons, "Autumn", on Radio 3 Sunday Morning. How much I really enjoy the whole work of this. I have Colin Davis and JEG's recordings but I think I may investigate this recording they played today with the Freiburger Barockorchester, Rene Jacobs et al
                          Last edited by BBMmk2; 18-09-16, 11:23.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Mahler (performing version ed. Cooke): Symphony No 10

Seattle Symphony Orchestra/Thomas Dausgaard

Not quite sure how this passed me by but, alerted to it by David Gutman's enthusiastic review in Gramophone, duly downloaded in 24/96 from Qobuz. Unsurprisingly, given the excellence of their Dutilleux series, the quality of the recording is stellar - and the performance not far behind. I'm a big fan of Dausgaard - and am looking forward to seeing him next week in Perth conduct the four-movement Bruckner 9th with the BBC Scottish. If this Mahler/Cooke 10th is anything to go by, it ought to be a good evening.

Comment

Not many of these seem to be available on CD :

R. Lamote de Grignon - Divertimento for Jazz Orch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roGVhtZry_o
                              Salvador Bacarisse - Lia, from Heraldos Op. 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0FxO0fCliw
                              Francisco de Lacerda - Almourol, Orch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPqAhk82dlQ

Francisco Escudero - Adagio Cantabile - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMth7e-oQc
                              Joly Braga Santos - Symphony No 4 : To Youth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-IE-Ag9KtA
                              Luís de Freitas Branco - Artificial Paradises, 1910 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQoceMEKCFY

I have, though, ordered the Joly Braga Santos

(and de Larocha playing de Falla, Turina and Albeniz plus a collection of Zarzuelas!).
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 18-09-16, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                                Mahler (performing version ed. Cooke): Symphony No 10

Seattle Symphony Orchestra/Thomas Dausgaard

Not quite sure how this passed me by but, alerted to it by David Gutman's enthusiastic review in Gramophone, duly downloaded in 24/96 from Qobuz. Unsurprisingly, given the excellence of their Dutilleux series, the quality of the recording is stellar - and the performance not far behind. I'm a big fan of Dausgaard - and am looking forward to seeing him next week in Perth conduct the four-movement Bruckner 9th with the BBC Scottish. If this Mahler/Cooke 10th is anything to go by, it ought to be a good evening.
                                Hi HighlandDougie, thanks for that. I can always make room for another M10, especially in Hi-Res! I’ve just downloaded it from Qobuz, hopefully I’ll listen to it tonight (I don’t think there’s much on MotD2). The sound quality from Qobuz hasn’t let me down yet, so fingers crossed for some great noise.

I quite like Dausgaard, too. I have the Langgaard symphonies, Antikrist, Music of the Spheres etc and I think I may dip into his Bruckner next.

That Bruckner gig that you are going to next week will be special, I’m sure. I’m making do next week with The London Symphony Orchestra, Gianandrea Noseda performing La Mer, DSCH 5 & Haydn trumpet concerto (a good spot by teamsaint). Will make a change from standing in the Proms Arena!

Edit: Just had a thought. Wasn’t Jayne banging on about this M10 a while back, or am I mistaken?
                                Last edited by Beef Oven!; 18-09-16, 15:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X